Cannabis culture has its own lexicon and holidays, with 710 emerging as a key term in this vibrant subculture. But what exactly does 710 signify, and how has it become an integral part of cannabis enthusiasts’ lives?
The Meaning Behind 710
710, Explained: At first glance, 710 might seem like an arbitrary number. However, when flipped upside down, it spells “OIL”, symbolizing a variety of potent cannabis products like hash oil, shatter, and wax. This clever play on words has turned July 10th (7/10) into a day of celebration for cannabis concentrate aficionados.
History and Evolution
- Origins and Evolution: Tracing back the origins of 710 is like following a trail of smoke. Although some associate its beginnings with the Grateful Dead’s influence in the 1960s and their residence at 710 Ashbury Street, the term ‘710’ first appeared in reference to cannabis oil on Urban Dictionary in 2007. By 2011, it gained traction in the cannabis community, further popularized by TaskRok’s album “The Movement,” which featured numerous references to cannabis concentrates.
- Rapid Rise in Popularity: Since the early 2010s, 710 has gained significant momentum, paralleling the spread of cannabis legalization and the growing acceptance of dabbing as a consumption method. What started as a niche celebration has burgeoned into the second-largest weed holiday after 4/20, with many dispensaries offering special discounts and events.
The Significance of Concentrates
- What are Cannabis Concentrates? Cannabis concentrates, celebrated on 710, are high-potency products derived from the cannabis plant. They come in various forms, including wax, oil, and vaping cartridges, offering a more potent and efficient cannabis experience with faster onset and stronger effects.
- Why Concentrates? Concentrates are not only a preference for their potency but also for their unique benefits and the art of extraction. The 710 celebration is as much about appreciating the craftsmanship behind concentrate production as it is about consumption.
Modern Celebrations and Trends
- 710 Today: As 710 becomes more mainstream, it’s embraced by a wide range of events and organizations across cannabis-legal states. From Arizona’s 710 Degree Cup to Oregon’s Camp Sesh, these events draw concentrate connoisseurs from all over. Additionally, the rise of vape pens and portable dab vapes has made consuming concentrates more accessible than ever.
- A Marketing Opportunity: Beyond being a celebration, 710 also serves as a significant marketing vehicle for dispensaries and brands to showcase their latest concentrate products, capitalizing on the holiday’s growing popularity.
710 represents more than just a date; it’s a symbol of cannabis culture’s evolution and the growing acceptance of cannabis concentrates. This holiday not only celebrates the products but also the community and craftsmanship behind them, marking a significant shift in how cannabis is perceived and enjoyed.